The Santa Anastasia church is one of the oldest churches of Sardinia and its foundations are upon the remains of a nuragic settlements. The first dates back to around 500 AD, when Rome and its empire are crumpling definitively, Europe and the Mediterranean area are disrupted by invasions of Germanic peoples and Constantinople, the ancient Byzantium, is becoming more and more powerful.
In 1913, during the first archaeological excavations conducted in the area, the facade of the church, for whose construction was also used material from Nuragic buildings, was dismantled and withdrawn a few meters, where it is today. This is to bring outside the church the entrance of the sacred well.
On the right of the nave, there is a baptismal font from 1585. On the altar, a statue of the Madonna and one of Christ. On the left, near the entrance, there are some lined stone blocks which belonged to the outer cover of a second sacred well, located to the right of the church and represent, symbolically, breasts and bull heads.
Along the left wall, at the bottom, there is a sacred well used to draw water for common uses. It was originally located in the hut of the council of village leaders, partly visible today outside the church.
The wooden statue of St. Anastasia dates back to around 1600 located at the bottom right wall. This saint was a Roman woman martyred around 300 d.C, during one of the last emperor Diocletian’s persecution campaigns. His cult is still very much alive in the Orthodox Church and in ancient times was invoked by the Christians to dissolve the evil, to recover from physical and mental illnesses and poisonings, and as protector of pregnant women. It is traditionally depicted with a palm tree or a cross in his right hand, and a jar of medicinal products or a book in his left one.